IPL 2021 CSK vs KKR Preview: Chennai Super Kings vs Kolkata Knight Riders, Match No 38
Two teams who have had a strong run in UAE lock horns at the Shaikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi. Kolkata Knight Riders walk in as favourites on Sunday’s first game with a dominant performance in the previous two games.
It has been a massive transformation for both sides; CSK has come back from the worst season in the history of IPL, whereas, KKR has had a horrendous start to the season by losing 5 of their 7 matches. In the previous 5 games played in Abu Dhabi last season, 2 games were won by the side batting; first, the chasing side won 2 games and 1 tied game. Most importantly, KKR has won all the 3 games they played here during the day.
Stats that Matter
1) CSK has won 4 out of 5 games against KKR; however, KKR played 3-afternoon matches at Abu Dhabi and won all three last seasons.
2) KKR’s Power Play overs net run rate in the first half of the season was 7.4, which was one of the lowest compared to the other teams. However, in the previous two games, their net run rate has crept up to 9.9.
3) In the previous 5 games, the average first innings death over score has been 56 for a loss of 2 wickets; however, the 2nd inning average death over score falls to 38 for loss of 2 wickets.
4) Surprisingly in such hot and dry conditions, seam/fast bowlers have enjoyed more success than spinners. In the last 5-afternoon games, spinners have picked 16 wickets compared to seam/fast bowlers who have picked 33 wickets.
5) Ravindra Jadeja has scored 371 runs against KKR, averaging 41.22 and striking at 134.91
Chennai Super Kings (CSK)
Ruturaj Gaikwad has scored 136 runs in the last two innings against KKR, striking at 143. During the middle overs, his strike rate increased to 164.13. Sam Curran might replace Josh Hazlewood against KKR. Curran, in 4 matches against KKR has picked up 4 wickets and has scored 85 runs, including a 55 not-out knock of26 balls. The KKR batting unit has 4 left-handed batsmen, but CSK just has one off-spinner in the form of Moeen Ali, who has not completed his quota of four overs. We might see Suresh Raina rolling his arm during the middle overs.
Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR)
Venkatesh Iyer has been in great touch and looks like a promising talent for years ahead. His fearless attitude has been his biggest strength. Sunil Narine can be a key during the middle overs. Narine has bowled 122 delivers against Rayudu and Dhoni and has conceded only 80 runs. In due course, Narine has dismissed both the batsmen twice. Deepak Chahar has been one of CSK’s most successful bowlers; Rahul Tripathi has smashed 49 runs off 29 balls against him.
The wicket favors seam/fast bowlers. In the previous 5 afternoon games, the average first inning score has been 166 for 6; whereas the average second innings score has been 154 for 5. KKR has won 2 out of 3 games batting first. Captain winning the toss will opt to bat first. 165 seems to be a par score on this ground.
Chennai Super Kings: Faf du Plessis, Moeen Ali, and Ambati Rayudu
Kolkata Knight Riders: Venkatesh Iyer, Andre Russell, and Rahul Tripathi
Death over Bowlers
Chennai Super Kings: Dwayne Bravo, Shardul Thakur, and Sam Curran/Josh Hazlewood
Kolkata Knight Riders: Lockie Ferguson, Prasidh Krishna, and Andre Russell
5 Must-Have players in your fantasy team
Ruturaj Gaikwad, Varun Chakravarthy, Andre Russell, Venkatesh Iyer and Dwayne Bravo